Monday, October 25, 2010

1:30 PM - No comments

Yogily Me!!

After several attempts at meditation and relaxation, Manish Pole (of Total Yoga) finally convinced me to join the Total Yoga group class that happens in my office. Today was my first class and my-oh-my was it killer or what?


Quite literally, for the first 50 minutes, I was seriously of the opinion that I am going to disintegrate. Well, the asanas are not tough to look at, they are not tough to do either. The challenge is in holding the position. Trust me, 30 seconds had me breathing heavy and wishing for time to pass faster.


Flexibility is good, I have been through flexibility training back in my martial arts days. However, the training never got me dripping with sweat. More so, I just realized today that I have been doing the Surya Namaskar wrong all through my life!!


Here is an image of the 11 steps, so that you (my readers) can also get the right Surya Namaskar steps.

A lot of people think that the Surya Namaskar and the Aum chanting is religion specific. You are wrong! A-u-m chanting is to project the energy and breathe correctly. It has nothing to do with Hinduism. My teacher happens to be a Christian, and I am a Muslim, makes no diff to us. The Surya Namaskar is a salutation to the sun, as it is the source of energy. Other than that, it is the craziest set of stretches in the world. If you have not done it already, seriously, you are losing out on a really awesome after-effect.

Lastly, I am doing Yoga in order to lose weight. As such, I am not really indulging in knowing it's secrets beyond my requirement. However, if you are doing yoga to learn the art and science, I strongly suggest that you go to a teacher who is clear about their knowledge, else you may be highly mis-guided.

So anyways, I have started working towards regaining my fitness, let's see how fast I see favorable results!!

Wish me luck!!

0 comments: